Maria Christina C. Ortua-Ang
Maria Christina C. Ortua-Ang is a Senior Associate in SyCip Salazar Hernandez & Gatmaitan. She is a member of the firm’s Special Projects, Taxation and Banking, Finance & Securities practice groups. She joined the firm in 2011.
She has advised international and Philippine corporations on tax and legal aspects of corporate acquisitions and divestments, investment structuring and other commercial transactions. She has drafted, reviewed and negotiated agreements covering project finance, mergers and acquisitions, and supply and customer contracts. She also represents multinational companies before Philippine courts and revenue authorities in connection with tax assessments, requests for rulings, refund claims and tax treaty relief applications.
Her significant projects include:
- the PhP24 billion financing for the Light Rail Transit Line 1 (LRT1) extension, operations and maintenance project;
- structuring equity investments in solar power projects in Mindanao, Philippines and in a geothermal power plant in Biliran, Philippines;
- sale by the controlling shareholders of a majority stake in a publicly-listed dairy manufacturing company;
- the share acquisition and strategic alliance between international companies in the area of online hotel reservation and information services in Asia;
- acquisition of equity interest in National Reinsurance Corporation, the only domestic professional reinsurance company in the Philippines;
- due diligence in connection with the investment of a global financial investment company in Asia’s largest hotel company.
Admission to the Bar
Queen Mary University of London (LL.M., with distinction);
University of the Philippines (J.D.)
Contributor, Doing Business 2017: Equal Opportunity for All, World Bank Group, 2017.
Author, Philippine chapter, Tax Litigation: Jurisdictional Comparisons, Sweet and Maxwell, 2013.
Contributor, CCH Doing Business in Asia