Maria Teresa D. Mercado-Ferrer
John Christian Joy A. Regalado
Ramon G. Songco
Ramon G. Songco is a partner of SyCip Salazar Hernandez & Gatmaitan. His practice areas include litigation and arbitration (civil, commercial, criminal, administrative) including contract disputes, tax cases, environmental (writ of kalikasan) cases, international commercial and sports arbitration, local taxation, estate proceedings, and general corporation law.
Mr. Songco has experience in trials and appeals, hearings, oral arguments and pleadings before Prosecutor’s Offices, Municipal Trial Courts, Regional Trial Courts, Office of the Ombudsman, Sandiganbayan, Local and Central Board of Assessment Appeals, National Labor Relations Commission, Energy Regulatory Commission, ICC Arbitral Tribunals, Court of Arbitration for Sports (Geneva, Switzerland), Court of Appeals, Court of Tax Appeals and the Supreme Court.
Some of the cases he handled include:
- He has represented the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (the national governing body for basketball) in international arbitration proceedings and is currently lead defense counsel for a multi-national company in several mass tort cases.
- He co-led a team which successfully defended a mining company in a writ of kalikasan case which was filed and tried before the Court of Appeals.
- He is also currently lead defense counsel for a multi-national mining company in a writ of kalikasan case pending before the Court of Appeals and Supreme Court (with a related case pending in a Regional Trial Court). He is also representing independent power producers in cases before the Energy Regulatory Commission.
Mr. Songco also contributed to the Philippine chapters of several international legal publications, including the International Comparative Legal Guide to: Litigation & Dispute Resolution 2018, Getting the Deal Through: Appeals 2017, an article on “Evidentiary Issues in Arbitration” published in ALB Magazine, and an article on “Foreign in personam summonses” in IFLR Magazine.
Mr. Songco has been cited as a key individual in dispute resolution by Chambers Asia-Pacific from 2019-2021 and a leading lawyer in dispute resolution and litigation by Asialaw in its 2020 and 2021 rankings.
Admission to the Bar
University of St. La Salle (A.B., B.S.C.)
Ateneo de Manila University (LL.B., Second Honors)
• SyCipLaw Authors Philippine Chapter of the Global Legal Group’s International Comparative Legal Guide – Litigation & Dispute Resolution 2023
• SyCipLaw Retains Top-Tier Rankings in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023 Guide
• SyCipLaw Recognized in 2023 Chambers Asia Pacific Guide, Retains Outstanding Rankings
• Supreme Court clarifies which parties are criminally liable in cases of company tax code violations
• SyCipLaw Lawyers featured in the latest Who’s Who Legal Guides
• SyCipLaw Authors Philippine Chapter of Latest Guide on Dispute Resolution Laws & Regulations by the Global Legal Group
• Philippine Supreme Court, En Banc, Denies Petition for Writ of Kalikasan and Environmental Protection Order Against Mining Company
• 9 SyCipLaw Lawyers Recognized in Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2018
• Highlights: WSG 2018 Asia Pacific Regional Meeting
• Philippine Chapter of the International Comparative Legal Guide to: Litigation & Dispute Resolution 2018
• Getting the Deal Through: Appeals 2017
• 10 SyCipLaw Lawyers recognized in Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2017
• Client Bulletin: Philippine Court of Appeals Denies Issuance of Environmental Protection Order Against Mining Company
• SyCipLaw is an Asialaw Profiles 2017 Outstanding Firm
• ALB: “Evidentiary Issues in Arbitration”
• Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2016
• Chambers AP Recognizes SyCipLaw as Philippine Law Firm of the Year
• IFLR: “Philippines: Foreign in personam summonses”
• Asialaw Profiles 2016 Results
• The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016 rankings released
• The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015 rankings released
• The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015 rankings released, October 31, 2014