Maria Teresa D. Mercado-Ferrer
John Christian Joy A. Regalado
Jan Celine C. Abaño-Ranada
Jan Celine C. Abaño-Ranada is a member of the firm’s Special Projects and Banking, Finance and Securities groups. Her areas of practice include project financing, mergers, acquisitions, privatization, energy and infrastructure.
Ms. Ranada has advised several banks that have extended financing to companies, including those engaged in the development of power plants and hotels and casinos. She has also participated in various capacities in mergers and acquisitions involving banking institutions, public utilities, manufacturing, communications and retail companies.
Her significant projects include:
- Syndicated PhP11.5 billion loan to finance the construction of a 300MW coal-fired thermal power plant located in Calaca, Batangas, Philippines
- Syndicated PhP9.0 billion loan to finance the construction of a 135MW coal-fired thermal power plant located in Calaca, Batangas, Philippines
- PhP2.25 billion loan to finance the construction of a hotel and entertainment complex located at the Bagong Nayong Pilipino Complex, Manila, Philippines
- PhP9.6 billion loan to finance the acquisition of 600 MW coal-fired thermal power plant located in Calaca, Batangas, Philippines
- PhP23 billion loan to the shareholders of The National Grid Corporation of the Philippines, which was awarded the concession to operate and maintain the national transmission grid
- Bidding for 600 MW Batangas Coal Fired Thermal Power Plant located in Batangas, Philippines
- Bidding for 600 MW Masinloc Coal-Fired Thermal Power Plant located in Zambales, Philippines
- Bidding for 75MW Ambuklao Hydroelectric Power Plant and the 100 MW Binga Hydroelectric Power Plant located at in Benguet, Philippines
Other Power Projects
- Construction of 100 MW coal-fired power station in Zamboanga City, Philippines
- Construction of 200 MW coal-fired plant in Maasim, Sarangani, Philippines
Mergers and Acquisitions
- US$688 million acquisition of a controlling interest in Coca-Cola Bottlers Philippines, Inc.
- US$1 billion divestment of 100% interest in Wyeth Philippines, Inc.
Admission to the Bar
University of the Philippines (B.S.; LL.B., Dean’s Medal for Academic Excellence)
• SyCipLaw Recognized in 2023 Chambers Global Guide, Retains Band 1 Rankings
• SyCipLaw Retains Top-Tier Rankings in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023 Guide
• SyCipLaw Recognized in 2023 Chambers Asia Pacific Guide, Retains Outstanding Rankings
• COVID-19 updates (SyCipLaw Bulletin # 6): Philippine President signs Bayanihan To Heal as One Act. Cebu City and Davao City placed under Community Quarantine.
• Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018 ranks SyCipLaw as Top Tier Firm
• SyCipLaw helps Upper Bicutan National High School get Ready for School
• LRT 1 Cavite Project and AP Renewables Climate Bond in Asian-mena Counsel’s Deals of the Year 2016
• Tiwi MakBan Geothermal financing and Light Rail Transit 1 project win IJGlobal Awards 2016 APAC Deals of the Year
• SMC’s coal-fired plant financing and AP Renewables’ climate bond in ABLJ 2016 Deals of the Year
• Tiwi MakBan and LRT1 Cavite Transactions Receive PFI Awards 2016
• SyCipLaw shortlisted in IFLR Asia Awards 2017 Deals of the Year
• ALB Philippine Law Awards 2016
• SyCipLaw Shortlisted in 11 ALB Philippine Law Awards 2016 Categories
• SyCipLaw Advises Borrowers in Tiwi-MakBan Geothermal Plants Project
• SyCipLaw advises San Carlos Sun Power, Inc. and BDO Unibank, Inc. in first Philippine solar power project financing deal
• Freshfields, Gibson Dunn lead on landmark Asian climate bond – ALB, March 4, 2016
• SyCipLaw advises Coca-Cola FEMSA in its acquisition of controlling interest in Coca-Cola Bottlers Philippines, Inc.