Maria Teresa D. Mercado-Ferrer
John Christian Joy A. Regalado
Hiyasmin H. Lapitan
Hiyasmin H. Lapitan is a partner in SyCip Salazar Hernandez & Gatmaitan, which is one of the largest law firms in the Philippines.
She is a member of the firm's special projects, tax, and banking, finance and securities departments, and provides corporate services. She was admitted to the Philippine Bar in 2006.
Ms. Lapitan's practice covers insurance, tax, mergers and acquisitions, energy, and construction.
She specializes in insurance law and has broad experience in investments in, and regulation of, this sector. She has worked on the divestment of shares in a non-life insurer, the acquisition of control over a life insurer, and the licensing of an insurance broker. She has worked on the establishment and licensing of insurers and insurance agencies.
Ms. Lapitan acts as the Philippine Insurance Commission-licensed resident agent of a number of non-resident foreign reinsurers and offshore reinsurance brokers.
Her insurance projects include the following:
- acquisition of shares in a Philippine licensed insurance broker
- the structuring of a non-life insurance company
- acquisition by one of the insurance largest brokers in the world of shares in an insurance broker licensed in the Philippines
- establishment of a subsidiary of a leading microinsurance provider that uses the mobile phone platform for distribution
- establishment of a branch office of a foreign insurer and the licensing of the branch as a non-life insurer
- reorganization of a holding company structure for the Philippine affiliate of a major life insurance conglomerate, and securing approval from the Philippine Insurance Commission in relation to such reorganization
- structuring and negotiation of a bancassurance agreement of an insurer with a local bank
Ms. Lapitan also regularly provides tax structuring advice and assistance to foreign residents in relation to their availment of preferential tax treatment under tax treaties. She also acts for clients in protesting tax assessments and in applying for tax incentives.
She has experience in government contracts, and has worked on public biddings for government assets and contracts; the development, equity structuring, and financing of various power generation projects including those that involve renewable energy; the reorganization of a group of advertising agencies; the formation of a joint venture for the supply of bulk water; the sale of shipyard assets; the acquisition of a chain of restaurants; and the preparation of engineering, procurement and construction contracts for energy and public infrastructure projects.
Admission to the Bar
University of the Philippines (B.S.; LL.B., Dean's Medal for Academic Excellence)
• SyCipLaw Contributes Philippine Chapter of Norton Rose Fulbright's 2023: Insurance Regulation in Asia Pacific
• SyCipLaw Authors Philippine Chapter of 2023 Chambers Insurance & Reinsurance Global Practice Guide
• PEZA-registered companies can opt to register with BOI to continue WFH arrangements
• SyCipLaw Authors the Philippine Chapter of the 2022 Insurance Country Guide by Thomson Reuters
• Department of Finance issues new regulation to implement Republic Act No. 11635
• SyCipLaw contributes to Norton Rose Fulbright's 2022: Insurance regulation in Asia Pacific – Ten things to know about 20 countries
• SyCipLaw Authors Philippine Chapters of Latest Chambers Insurance Global Practice Guide
• Regulatory Sandbox Framework for Insurance Technology (SyCipLaw Special Projects Department Client Briefing)
• SyCipLaw’s Doing Business in the Philippines: A General Guide (2020 Update)
• Updated: The Return-To-Work Checklist for Philippine Companies (16 May 2020)
• COVID-19 updates (SyCipLaw Bulletin # 12): Further extension to pay taxes; Other COVID-19 related issuances
• Thompson Hine releases “Country-by-Country Guide: Government Measures Taken in Response to COVID-19”; SyCipLaw among contributors
• COVID-19 updates (SyCipLaw Bulletin # 7): SEC, BSP, IPO, PEZA, ARTA, IC, PCC Issuances Relating to the COVID-19 Pandemic
• COVID-19 updates (SyCipLaw Bulletin # 6): Philippine President signs Bayanihan To Heal as One Act. Cebu City and Davao City placed under Community Quarantine.
• COVID-19 updates (SyCipLaw Bulletin # 3): Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) Extends Deadlines for the Payment of Various Taxes and Filings and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Allows the Filing of General Information Sheets (GIS) via Email
• COVID-19 updates (SyCipLaw Bulletin # 2): Philippine Government Declares an Enhanced Community Quarantine over Luzon from March 17, 2020 to April 12, 2020
• COVID-19 updates (SyCipLaw Bulletin # 1): Philippine Government Declares Community Quarantine over Metro Manila from March 15 to April 14
• 2019: Insurance regulation in Asia Pacific – Ten things to know about 20 countries
• SyCipLaw’s Doing Business in the Philippines: A General Guide (2018 Update)
• 2018: Insurance regulation in Asia Pacific – Ten things to know about 20 countries
• Kapihan sa SyCip: “All Aboard the Train: A Kapihan on TRAIN”
• SyCip Partner speaks at Joint Trade Asian Insurance Regulatory Conference 2017
• Getting the Deal Through: Country Focus 2017 - Philippines
• World Bank Group: “Doing Business 2018: Reforming to Create Jobs”
• Joint Trade Asian Insurance Regulatory Conference 2017
• IBA Taxes Committee: “Developments in Philippine Tax Laws and Regulations”
• ALB: “Guidelines on Related Party Transactions for Insurers in the Philippines”
• Export Development Canada’s “First 5 Calls: Philippines”
• SyCipLaw helps Upper Bicutan National High School get Ready for School
• IFLR: “Philippines: Acquiring insurance brokers”
• Tax Bulletin: BIR Rules on Proper Tax Treatment of Passed-on Gross Receipts Tax
• Doing Business 2017: Equal Opportunity for All
• WLG's Global Guide to Data Breach Notifications
• WLG’s Global Guide to Whistleblowing Programs
• Export Development Canada’s First 5 Calls: Philippines
• Inaugural Meeting of Indonesian Business & Professionals in Manila
• ALB SE Asia Law Awards 2016 Shortlist
• World Law Group Publishes New Edition of Global Guide to Data Breach Notifications
• 2016: Insurance regulation in Asia Pacific – Ten things to know about 20 countries
• IFLR: “Philippines: Foreign reinsurers and brokers”
• Asian Insurance Review: “Philippine local standards made applicable to non-resident foreign reinsurers”
• The Mergers & Acquisitions Review 9th Edition – Philippines
• Employment & Immigration Update 2015 2-3Q
• Legal Bulletin: Technology, Media & Telecoms (Aug. 2015)
• SyCipLaw’s Doing Business in the Philippines: A General Guide
• ALB: "Philippine BPOs: Employment Prospects & Issues"
• ALB: "Plenty of Assurance in Insurance"
• Employment & Immigration Update 2015 1Q
• SyCipLaw, Chandler & Thong-ek, Minter Ellison, VILAF and ICD on the Corporate Governance Scorecard at Philippine In-House Legal Summit
• Inaugural ALB In-House Legal Summit on April 29 (Wednesday), Fairmont Makati Hotel
• SyCipLaw announces new partners – IFLR1000, February 18, 2015
• SyCipLaw Admits Four New Partners
• SyCipLaw, Shearn Delamore and Makarim & Taira participate in HK In-House Legal Summit
• SyCipLaw assists STARR Companies in establishing its Philippine operations
• SyCipLaw counsels Vestas in connection with EDC Burgos Wind Power agreements
• Doing Business 2013: Smarter Regulations for Small and Medium-Size Enterprises
• SyCipLaw advises CGA Mining on Merger with B2Gold