Jose Florante M. Pamfilo
Jose Florante M. Pamfilo is a member of the firm’s Special Projects and Banking, Finance and Securities groups. His practice areas include: investments, mergers and acquisitions; banking, finance and securities; energy, and international trade law.
He has negotiated, reviewed and drafted contracts; provided advice on various legal and regulatory issues, including on foreign equity ownership restrictions, banking and securities regulations, and corporate law and governance; advised on corporate and deal structuring; and conducted legal due diligence reviews.
Mr. Pamfilo's major projects include:
- Subscription and purchase by a private equity fund of approximately PhP4.8 billion-worth of Philippine Deposit Receipts with common shares of a publicly-listed media company as underlying security;
- Sale by the controlling shareholders of a majority stake in a publicly-listed dairy manufacturing company;
- Sale by a leading Dutch bank of its Philippine trust and investment unit;
- Issuance by a Philippine beer manufacturer of PhP20 billion fixed-rate bonds;
- Issuance by a local cement manufacturing company of PhP4.5 billion secured fixed-rate notes;
- Acquisition financing for the purchase of a controlling stake in one of the country’s leading sugar mills;
- Advise to foreign and local banks and financial institutions on various issues relating to the conduct of banking business and the offering of financial services in the Philippines;
- Purchase by the power generation arm of the country’s largest power distribution utility of a 20% stake in a leading power producer; and
- Advise to various prospective investors and financing institutions on the legal and regulatory framework for the energy sector in general, and for renewable energy in particular.
As part of his international trade law practice, he has represented clients before the Appellate Body and dispute settlement panel of the World Trade Organization in Geneva, Switzerland on a GATT dispute, and before the Philippine Department of Trade and Industry on a safeguards dispute.
Admission to the Bar
2012, New York, U.S.A.
University of Michigan (LL.M., De Witt Fellow)
University of the Philippines (LL.B., valedictorian and cum laude)
Ateneo de Manila University (B.S., cum laude)