Hector M. De Leon, Jr.
Mr. de Leon is SyCipLaw’s managing partner.
His practice focuses on corporate and commercial matters, with emphasis on equity investments, mergers and acquisitions, project development and finance, and similar commercial transactions.
Mr. de Leon acted as counsel in many corporate transactions, including joint ventures and other strategic alliances, sale of assets and shares of stock, and corporate and project financing. Together with other lawyers of the firm, Mr. de Leon worked on some of the biggest M&A transactions in the Philippines, several of which were awarded or nominated as “Deal of the Year” by international publications.
Mr. de Leon provides advice to clients on a variety of other matters such as the establishment of a presence in the Philippines, legal compliance and permitting, transaction structuring and tax matters. He acts as director and corporate secretary in several Philippine companies.
While he has experience representing clients in a range of industries, Mr. de Leon has notably deep experience with clients in the energy, mining, oil and gas, energy and infrastructure sectors.
Mr. de Leon is a professorial lecturer at the University of the Philippines College of Law. He teaches Sales as well as Credit Transactions. He also worked as legal officer at the United Nations Compensation Commission in Geneva, Switzerland.
Chambers Global Guide 2016 named him as one of the leading lawyers in the Philippines in the field “Projects, Infrastructure and Energy” (Band 1). He also belongs to Asialaw’s 2016 Leading Lawyers. For the past several years, he is mentioned in Chambers Asia-Pacific’s Leading Lawyers for Business and in The Legal 500: Asia Pacific Guide to Asia’s Commercial Law Firms.
Admission to the Bar
University of Michigan (LL.M.)
University of the Philippines (A.B., cum laude; LL.B.)
- Author, Philippine chapter, Remedies for International Seller of Goods, published by Juris Publishing
- Author, Chapter on “Protection of Foreign Investors in the Articles of Incorporation and By-Laws”, International Business Transactions, published by Kluwer Law International
- Co-author, Philippine chapter, Digest of Commercial Laws of the World, published by Thomson Reuters
- Co-author, Philippine chapter, Doing Business in Asia, published by CCH Asia Limited
- Co-author, Comments and Cases on Sales and Leases, published by Rex Book Store, Inc.
- Co-author, Comments and Cases on Credit Transactions, published by Rex Publishing, Inc.
Fellow, Institute of Corporate Directors
Member, Tax Management Association of the Philippines